The conference culminated in a series of actions and recommendations for closing the gap between research and practice including
- Develop tools and provide professional learning opportunities for pre-service and in-service teachers, leaders, and higher education faculty to raise awareness and promote use of research-based instructional practices.
- Redesign instructional materials so they apply research based principles, including worked examples, spacing, formative assessment, visual mapping and are aligned to learning progressions.
- Engage in future research that gathers more information about the use and impact of cognitive principles and redesigned instructional materials.
- Leverage technology to implement complex cognition principles into student learning opportunities.
- Increase access to and use of existing cognitive research knowledge.
- Develop and use effective and informative assessments of learning.
- Establish Teacher-Researcher Partnerships that engage in collaborative research on the application of cognitive research principles in the classroom.
The full set of recommendations is available here: PDF